From the Education Coordinator
Greetings fellow EMS providers,
This summer the NDEMSA will be providing several educational opportunities for you to attend.
Mission Lifeline has put together a Stroke EMS Education for us to bring to the ambulance services in the state. Our instructors have been contacting services to travel to their town to deliver this class. Attendees will receive 1.5 NCCR Stroke hours.
Three Mental Health First Aid courses have been scheduled for various cities. The first will be held in Grand Forks on Friday June 22, followed by one in Fargo on Thursday, July 19 and Jamestown on Thursday, August 23. A fourth class is being considered in Bismarck. Attendees will receive 8 hours of LCCR.
There will be a Grant writing class in Bismarck on Wednesday, August 1. This class will consist of Grant Writing, Strategic Planning and Action Planning.
Two EMS Safety courses are also in the works, one in Fargo and one in Jamestown.
This fall there will be another online EMR course offered. The first course will be starting in October and end at the beginning of January, followed by a course starting mid-January and ending at the beginning of April.
For specific locations, times and other class information you can go to our web page at www.ndemsa.org
Hope everyone has a safe, fun and busy summer. Remember while driving, there are 2-wheeled, 2 legged and 4 legged travelers out and about.
Until next time,
NDEMSA Education Coordinator
Click here to register for the EMS Conference.
Click here to view the brochure.
About this Conference
This conference is for EMS leaders in our state to learn about operating a successful EMS service. It is made possible through a partnership with the Division of Emergency Medical Systems, the UND Center for Rural Health Flex Program, and the North Dakota EMS Association.
- Daniel Batsie, a distinguished national presenter is the featured presenter of the 2018 conference.
- Conference Topics include: Marketing, funding, Migration to the new patient care reporting system, Mentoring, and much more
- Several sessions will give attendees the opportunity to network and share ideas.
- LCCR credit available for continuing education.
- All refreshments and meals provided throughout the two-day conference.
- The conference will begin at 1 pm on June 4th and conclude at 3:30 pm on June 5th.
August 17-18, 2018
Van Hook, New Town, ND
Click here for more information.
Mental Health First Aid Courses
Click here to view the website and schedule.
North Dakota EMS Association is offering four Mental Health First Aid courses this summer through a grant from the Center for Rural Health. This course will teach you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illness and substance abuse in your community. Attendees will learn to identify the risk factors and warning signs for mental health and addiction concerns and where to turn for help.
The course is divided into two sessions. Topics to be covered are: depression, anxiety disorders, trauma, psychosis, substance abuse, recovery and resiliency.
Instructor for this course will be Ashley Ladbury Hrichena, Training and Education Coordinator at First Link in Fargo, ND.
June 22 - Choice Health and Fitness, Grand Forks ND
July 19 - FM Ambulance, Fargo ND
TBD - Bismarck, ND
August 23 - Hampton Inn, Jamestown, ND
The NDEMSA would like to thank the following for help in getting these courses offered to the EMS, Fire and Law Enforcement communities:
- Center for Rural Health
- FM Ambulance
- Choice Health & Fitness
Class size will be limited to 30 attendees, minimum 5. Click here to register.
Instructor Coordinator Refresher/ Training Officer Update
Wednesday, June 6th from
8am to 5pm
507 25th St. SW
Jamestown, ND 58401
Room Rate for 89.99. Ask for the “ND EMS” block.
What is needed for I/C License Renewal?
· Complete an 8-hour Instructor Coordinator/Continuing Education Coordinator Refresher
· Have at least a 70% pass rate in both cognitive and psychomotor examinations for NREMT primary certification courses.
· Have participated as the course coordinator or primary instructor in at least one initial EMS training course within the 2 year licensure period.
· Persons that are employed or affiliated with a licensed training institution may submit documentation of 8 hours of adult education training to satisfy the relicensure requirements.
· CECs are only required to take the 8-hour refresher course.
Instructor Coordinators must have taught an initial primary EMS course during their current I/C certification cycle to meet the requirements for recertification. I/C’s who attend the refresher and have not met this requirement for recertification will be recertified as a CEC.
This the last I/C Refresher course currently scheduled in 2018.
To Register for the June 6th Course click here.
Grant Writing and
Strategic Planning Workshop
August 1, 2018 – Bismarck
Register for the course here
Grant Writing Workshop
Consists of 3 mini sessions:
Organizational Expertise & Needs Statement:
● Learn what kind of information funders want to know about your organization.
● Position key information about your organization and expertise.
● Create powerful case statements backed up by evidence and show why what you are doing matters.
· Communicate effectively to funders in the language they want.
The Project Description - Sell Your Program
● Learn how to write action-oriented goals and objectives.
● Focus on creating the right kind of details that build your case and excite prospective funders.
● Create eye-catching material.
● View examples of successful proposal materials.
● Discern what is important for evaluating whether or not a program is successful.
● Learn how to prove your program is successful.
● Learn how evaluation data can be used to improve your programs.
Strategic & Action Planning Workshop Descriptions
Strategic Planning 101:
· Demystifying Strategic Planning
· Strategic Planning How-To
· Building a Toolbelt
Action Planning Workshop:
Through a six-step process, nonprofits will be able to create an Organizational Action Plan to achieve their goals and increase their impact on the community!
Grant Writing 101– 10am-1pm
Strategic Planning 101– 2pm-4pm
Action Planning Workshop– 4pm-5pm
*Lunch is on your own*
NDEMSA Upcoming Events
June 4-5, 2018 EMS Management Conference, Bismarck
June 6, 2018 IC Refresher, Jamestown
June 22, 2018 Mental Health First Aid Training For Public Safety Responders - Grand Forks
July 19, 2018 Mental Health First Aid Training For Public Safety Responders - Fargo
August 1, 2018, Strategic Planning/Grant Writing Class, Bismarck
August 17- 18, 2018 EMS Foundation Fishing Tournament - Van Hook, New Town
August 23, 2018 Mental Health First Aid Training For Public Safety - Jamestown
September 28-30, 2018 SW Conference - Medora
January 19-20, 2019 NW Conference - Minot
February 1-3, 2019 SE Conference - Jamestown
February 16-17, 2019 NE Conference - Grand Forks
April 11-13, 2019 44th EMS Rendezvous - Bismarck
Other Events Held in July/August of 2018
* Critical Access Hospital/EMS Meetings
* First Time Manager Training Class
* NAEMT EMS Safety Courses